I provide affordable legal and business consulting services as an outside general counsel / business lawyer. My 20 years of practice experience as a law firm trial lawyer and in-house general counsel has trained me to address most legal, regulatory, and business issues that arise for business owners; companies; broker-dealers; placement agents; investment bankers and entrepreneurs. I am based in San Francisco, but have clients throughout the nine Bay Area Counties.
I have a wide and unusual background in the practice of law and as a corporate executive. My background has exposed me to many different challenges and successes in business. I apply my experience and training to managing business risk, proper corporate or LLC formation, compliant operations, and efficient expansion. I can also chart the path out of trouble if it arises. I have defended clients at trial, and brought lawsuits on their behalf. (But, much prefer to help avoid litigation in the first place -- too expensive and emotionally draining for my clients.)
I talk with business owners almost everyday and we review their needs, discuss my suggestions, and prepare a plan that can be executed quickly, efficiently and affordably. I have been the law firm attorney that charges the going rates, and I have been the executive that hires attorneys at the going rates. I cut my rates when I opened my own office because business owners should not avoid an attorney because of cost - we can work it out.
Where I've worked:
- Institutional Cash Distributors, LLC -Privately held broker-dealer serving the cash management needs of it institutional clients. SF, CA -April 2009 – November 2009 -Chief Executive Officer and General Counsel.
- Merriman Curhan Ford & Co. -Publicly traded broker-dealer, investment bank, asset manager SF, CA -2000 – 2009 General Counsel and Secretary, CCO.
- FINRA District Committee, Dist 1 -FINRA advisory committee of elected representatives from Member firms. SF, CA 2008 – 2009.
- Goldspring, Inc. Publicly traded precious metals exploration and mining company. Virginia City, NV- 2004 to 2007 Director, Chairman of the Board (2005 – 2007)
- Hastings College of the Law, Univ of California SF, CA 2001 – 2005 Adjunct Professor
- Bradley, Curley & Asiano SF, CA 1995 – 2000 Law Firm Partner
- Burnham & Brown Oakland, CA 1989 – 1995 Associate Attorney
- Alameda County District Attorney’s Ofc. Oakland -Summer, 1988 Law Clerk
- San Francisco City Attorney -Summer, 1987 Law Clerk